This simple Cowboy Caviar is made with two types of beans, corn, and loads of fresh ingredients with a simple dressing. Serve with tortilla chips.
Cowboy Caviar is often called Texas Caviar or Cowboy Salsa, and is a popular chip dip with origins in Texas. It’s a fairly healthy appetizer or snack option that is known for it’s classic flavors and simplistic ingredients.
Related: Soft Pretzel Bites with Cheesy Dip
Related: Taco Wonton Cups
- I prefer ripe avocados, but you can use one that isn’t quite ripe, which will give this dish a different appearance. The avocados mashed a bit when tossing the ingredients together.
- Please check out bottom of the post (under the directions) if you’d like to see photos of the entire cooking process.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Down time: Chill 1 hour
Storage: store in an airtight container
Related: Healthy Spinach Dip
Related: Crack Chicken Pinwheels
You will need the following items to make this recipe:
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
For the Dip:
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can black eyed peas rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can sweet corn
- 10 oz package cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 avocados, pitted and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- Slice the tomatoes, and dice the avocado, and the rest of the vegetables.
- Chop the cilantro
- Add the dressing ingredients to a large bowl, and stir well to combine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl, and juice the lime into the bowl.
- Gently toss the ingredients.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until ready to serve.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Related: Low Carb Cheesy Bacon Stuffed Mini Peppers
Related: Loaded Tater Tot Cups
Related: Cheesy Ranch Chicken Wonton Cups with Bacon
Slice the tomatoes, and dice the avocado, and the rest of the vegetables. Chop the cilantro.
Add the dressing ingredients to a large bowl, and stir well to combine.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl, and juice the lime into the bowl.
Gently toss the ingredients.