If the weather is nice and you are eagerly planning a picnic, use this list of picnic snack ideas to plan your menu. I’ve found 25 delicious recipes from crunchy snacks to sweet treats that will be perfect for your picnic. With this list you can cover all your food groups and have the perfect snack meal for grazing in the sunshine.
Picnic Snack Ideas for Families with Kids
While some of the picnic snack ideas I’ve found are for a mature palate, mostly I focused on items that were kid-friendly too. So of course if you are planning a picnic date away from the kids or as a single you can find great ideas here, but if this is a family event I’ve still got you covered!
When planning a picnic you don’t want a big sit down meal with utensils required. You can literally make an entire meal out of snacks. And it can be a healthy meal too! But don’t worry, I’ve also included a few sweet treats for your picnic snacks as well.
So while browsing this list you can plan out your entire “meal” made of just snacks.
Best Tips for Planning a Picnic
- Bring napkins. Sometimes when planning all the snacks for on the go like when on a picnic, we forget things like napkins and utensils. I know I have! None of the snacks on this list require utensils but you should definately have napkins! Bring lots of extras if you have kids. Maybe even pack some wet wipes.
- Bring food covers. While imagining a beautiful spread across a picnic blanket like you would see in an old movie is enticing, in reality, your food will probably be covered in bugs within minutes. That’s especially true in summer. So bring the food in Tupperwares or buy some outdoor food covers (you can get them at the Dollar Tree or Amazon) or even just bring some saran wrap or foil.
- Serve food in order. If some of your dishes are best while still warm, or if some might melt a bit in the heat, consider this when pulling out the snacks. Offer up food that is more temperature sensitive first.
- Don’t forget a blanket or two! It’s so much nicer to enjoy your picnic on a soft blanket instead of straight on the pokey grass. Plus you have a small deterant for the bugs on the ground this way too.
- Rememeber spill-proof cups. If you have kids at your picnic make sure the cups are spill-proof. Especially if you are going to be on the ground and not a picnic table. Honestly, even if we WERE at a picnic table I’d still do this. The one time you don’t is when the drinks get poured all over the food every single time.
Now let’s dive into these 25 perfect picnic snack ideas!
1. Ham and Cheese Biscuits
These easy Ham and Cheese Biscuits are light and tender with bits of ham and cheese baked right inside! This is an easy-to-make biscuit ready to eat in just 30 minutes and there’s no rolling out the dough.
2. Make a Charcuterie Board
Is there anything better than a charcuterie board? Charcuterie has quickly become one of my favorite appetizers because it’s a little mix of everything. Pair it with a nice glass of wine and you feel oh so fancy!
3. TURKEY AND CHEESE ROLL UPS
These Turkey and Cheese Rolls Ups make the perfect snack for your picnic that can also be considered a main course. They’re super easy to make in just 5 minutes and are so yummy. Skip the sandwich and whip up these Turkey Pinwheels instead!
4. Veggie Tortilla Rollups
Tortilla Rollups w/ dairy free cream cheese and fresh raw vegetables make the perfect appetizer, snack or light lunch. They are a perfect finger food for kids too!
5. No-Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
No-bake, gluten-free, crunchy, delicious, and super easy to make, these Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars make a great addition to your picnic. They are actually pretty healthy but could even be eaten as a dessert.
6. Fruit Kabobs
This recipe for fruit kabobs is a rainbow of fruit served on skewers with a yogurt dipping sauce. An easy and healthy snack that the kids will devour!
7. Antipasto Skewers
These antipasto skewers are a variety of Italian meats, cheeses, olives and vegetables threaded onto sticks. An easy and elegant make ahead appetizer!
8. Packable Snackable Lunch Boxes
An elementary school throwback, these customizable snack packs are a great way to enjoy a “gourmet” lunch out at the park. They share two favorites in this post: a fancy cheese plate and mini pizzas!
9. Caramel Apple Date Bark
The classic combination of crisp apples with rich caramel is taken to a whole new level with natural caramel flavor from dates and velvety dark chocolate in this Caramel Apple Date Bark. Every bite is filled with the tartness of green apples, bitter dark chocolate, sweet dates, and a crunch from peanuts.
10. No Bake Dark Chocolate Chia Energy Bites
These no bake dark chocolate chia energy bites are so delicious and indulgent but also so darn good for you! Loaded with superfoods and natural sweetness, this decadent treat is a perfect picnic snack or can even be the dessert!
11. 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
These vegan 3-ingredient peanut butter oatmeal balls are so easy to make with a few healthy, simple ingredients. They are completely vegan, gluten-free, and naturally sweetened. Plus, they taste absolutely delicious and make the perfect snack for your picnic.
12. Healthy Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
These healthy banana blueberry oatmeal muffins are super fluffy, moist, and easy to make in one bowl. They are gluten-free, dairy-free, and contain no sugar or flour. Each bite is full of juicy fresh blueberries and delicious banana flavor!
13. Protein Snack Pack
Protein Snack Packs filled with hard-boiled eggs, almonds, hummus, and crunchy veggies. An easy and delicious lunchtime meal-prep solution perfect for any protein lover, these fantastic little protein snack packs are perfect for picnics at the park.
14. Cinnamon Apple Chips
This Cinnamon Apple Chips recipe is a perfect healthy DIY treat. With only three simple ingredients, you can feel good about sharing this delicious treat with your family and friends while basking in the sunshine.
15. STRAWBERRY LOAF CAKE WITH LEMON GLAZE
This Strawberry Loaf Cake is sweet, moist and simple to make. Top with a lemon glaze for the perfect combination.
16. Monster Cookie Protein Balls
These monster cookie protein balls are packed with ingredients like hearty oats, peanut butter, and protein powder to fuel you and also satisfy a sweet tooth. They are a perfect quick snack for any time of the day inspired by monster cookies.
17. SPINACH AND CHEESE PUFFS
These spinach and cheese puffs are a great appetizer for any party, picnic, or gathering. These cute puffs are a crowd- pleaser and taste absolutely delicious.
18. Layered Greek Hummus Dip
Layered Greek dip is one of the very best light and fresh party dips that is packed with flavors of the Mediterranean and great textures. Made with delicious layers of hummus, fresh tomatoes, crunchy cucumber pieces, creamy feta cheese, kalamata olives, and fresh herbs. This dip is easy to assemble and tastes great.
19. Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas with Everything Bagel Seasoning are baked in the oven until perfectly crisp and golden. Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning to make a quick and healthy family-friendly snack.
20. Baked Candied Cinnamon-Sugar Walnuts
Learn how to candy walnuts by baking them in the oven with this quick and straightforward recipe. The process will leave your home smelling absolutely amazing! My version of cinnamon-sugar candied walnuts are the perfect pop-in-your-mouth snack — crunchy, crispy, sweet, and super flavorful! Ready within just 35 minutes!
21. Quick Olive Hummus
This Olive Hummus Recipe makes all hummus and olive lovers smile. It’s the perfect blending of the fantastic flavors of olives and creamy hummus, with just the right “kick” of spice.
22. SPICY RANCH CRACKERS
These spicy ranch crackers are the perfect appetizer to make and serve at your next house party or take along on a potluck. They’re crispy, salty, creamy and spicy all at the same time, and are a great Southern party favorite, or they’re great just as a little snack.
23. Garlic-Lovers’ Guacamole
This Guacamole is one of the Easiest Guacamole recipes you will ever try, but it tastes amazing. Loaded with garlic and the perfect blend of spices, it beats any store-bought guac hands down.
24. Peanut Butter Maple Snack Mix
This peanut butter maple snack mix is a perfect after school treat, road trip snack, picnic snack, or portable pick me up! It is full of flavor, texture and plenty of crunch.
25. Mini Pepperoni Calzones
These delicious mini pepperoni calzones are full of pepperoni and cheese. Use them as appetizers or dinner for any night of the week!